kaffeine won't play DVDs (8.04)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Sep 21 14:30:32 UTC 2008

On Sunday 21 September 2008, Billie Walsh wrote:
>Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Valter Mura wrote:
>>>
>>> In my case, which number of region should I put? I live in Italy,
>>> Europe.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you want to change the region. Anyway, you can read about
>> it here:
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code>
>>
>> And please note: On most DVD players you can change the region code only a
>> very few times.
>>

>> Nils
>
>One DVD player we have/had in the manual it said it would play any
>region but once three or four of a region was played it "locked" it into
>only that region DVD's. That just really sucks big time. In todays world
>economy most movies are available everywhere regardless of region, but
>sometimes if you want a low volume DVD you might have to get it from a
>region outside your own. I spent some time looking for a certain movie
>special edition. I finally found one available in Australia. That's not
>my "region".
>
>I also see where Australia has determined that regionalized DVD players
>are against free trade and require them to be region free. New Zealand
>was also considering the same ruling.I guess the best bet would be to
>buy DVD players from Australia.

Or a determined search can often find an Aussie firmware for your player.  In
my case I put the firmware on a cd as an image, and just put the cd in the
drawer.  It will rewrite your region code crippled firmware without it, and
get rid of the &*^$#&^ macrovision at the same time.  It plays anything I put
in the drawer now.  Flawlessly.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)