Strange PDF printing problems

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Tue Sep 16 18:30:55 UTC 2008

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 September 2008 1:58:35 pm Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:

>>> Nigel, for me on Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 3.5.10 the PDF opened fine in
>>> Okular. I could copy text (text, not only image) and test prionting in
>>> the Print Preview and Print To PDF both worked fine.
>>>
>>> Which KDE do you use? How does Print To PDF turn out? As the problem
>>> is common to both KPDF and to Acrobat, which I do not think share any
>>> code, I suspect your print drivers (or even the printer, if it is not
>>> the same machine as your wife connects to).
>> Hi Dotan,
>>
>> Using KPDf I can 'see' the text in the print preview but it doesn't print.
>> If I open it in Acroread and print to file, then open the resulting .ps
>> with KGhostView, I again can 'see' the text in the print preview but it
>> doesn't print. Actually the printer (an Epson Stylus CX3700) does all the
>> sounds and mechanical works - I can hear the print head going back and
>> forward, nice and slowly as if it's printing something but it's invisible!
>> It just prints a piece of text on the side column (vertically) "Owner's
>> manual      ONYX 1640" in a light blue color.
>>
>> My wife's XP box is in her office at work - not connected at all to mine
>> (at home).
>>
>> I am using Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 3.5.9
>>

> I can select text and it prints fine to both color and monochrome laser
> printers here.  The problem is likely with your printer drivers or your ink
> cartridge.

No problem with the printer or the cartridges - after I copied the text into OpenOffice and
changed the color to gray, then I was able to print it just fine.

I just did a test print and the black nozzle appears to be blocked - I'm cleaning it now...

That was it - a blocked [black] nozzle! Sometimes we look for difficult solutions when in actual
fact it's the simple ones that need to be checked first...

Thanks for the pointer - which led to the fix! :-)

Blessings,

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net