hardy on amd laptop. can't apt-get install ksynaptics $#&^%#&^!

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Sep 13 04:24:12 UTC 2008

It would appear that on Sep 12, Derek Broughton did say:

> Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
>
> > Thanks but no thanks. I like your solution better... Besides I'm a little
> > leery of manually applying debs, or rpms or tarballs to any distro I
> > might be using.
>
> You're wise to be.  In this case, I am still running the old ksynaptics
> without any conflicts, but then you don't know me - I could be feeding you
> viruses.
>
> I've just remembered out why I stopped using ksynaptics - every time I do,
> it tells me "Shared memory is not accessible" and to add "SHMConfig on" to
> xorg.conf, but every time I add that, something regresses it.  It's missing
> again.

Ahhh so THAT's what SHMConfig is for... I think you mentioned that the
MaxTapTime option also gets regressed sometimes... In an effort to stop
forgetting fixes I've just re-established a special email folder called
GeneralLinuxClues to keep such thing as is useful for ANY distro I might
be using... This time I'm forwarding copies of such thing to my laptop
in the hopes that my next catastrophic hard disk failure doesn't one
again return me to cluelessness ;-)

That MaxTapTime option definitely belongs there... it works for
Kubuntu, OpenSuSE, And Sabayon...