kde4.1 hangs at shutdown

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 09:54:10 UTC 2008

When I attempt to shutdown my system from kde 4.1.1 (not logout but full
shutdown), all the kde programs get killed and kde exits to a black screen at
which point...nothing.  In order to shutdown the system I have to kill X
(ctrl+alt+bkspc) which gives me a virtual terminal with a login prompt.  I
then have to login and issue a shutdown command.

Going through the same excercise with kde 3.5.9 doesn't cause this problem and
the system shuts down without any help.

The fact that I get to a VT suggests that the system has already logged me out
and that kdm may be the culprit, but don't forget that it doesn't happen w/
3.5.

Any thoughts?
Paul