Probably a stupid question

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Thu Sep 11 17:07:21 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Probably a stupid question
From: Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net>
To: Kubuntu-Users <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: 09/11/2008 09:51 AM
> I need to install drivers for a Holux GPS Receiver puck. I have the
> Linux drivers for it but I'm so ignorant of CLI that I don't know how to
> install them. The drivers come with a make file [ makefile ] and what I
> suppose are the actual drivers. I Googled for "make" and found lots of
> stuff about how to make a "makefile" but nothing on how to make it do
> it's thing.
>
> Kubuntu 8.01 X86-64
>
> Could someone give some simple command to make it work? Please!

The question is only stupid if you ask it twice :)

I am going to assume from your note that you can get to a command line
and that you have the files in a directory and that you can see the
"makefile" when you type "ls". If that is so, simply type "make" and it
will read the makefile and compile your program.

Some other information that may or may not apply:

Often times there is also a "configure" file in the directory. If you
see one type "./configure" before your un the make command. This will go
out and look at your machine and write the makefile so that it will work
properly for your setup.

Also the make command can take arguments. The make command by itself
will compile your driver but, mostlikely, will not put it where it goes.
Many times you have to follow the "make" command with a "sudo make
install" command to actually install the program.

Sometimes you can also do a "make test" or "make check" to test out the
program to see if it works. This will probably not be the case for a driver.

Lastly there is a convention of putting a file called README and/or
INSTALL in the directory. These are almost always useful to read.

You will see a lot of "sometimes", "often times" and "can" in my
instructions above. That is because every programmer/packager hasthe
option to do things any way they want to. The instructions above reflect
what most developers do.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

--
Sometimes I wonder.  Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.