Time Updates

Mark Fraser kubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 15:51:24 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 15:34:11 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mark Fraser wrote:

> >> Only one question, does this tell me when the time server was last
> >> polled by my computer, or does it actually poll and adjust my current
> >> time?
> >
> > It polls and adjusts your current time. I'm sure there must be some way
> > of getting to update upon boot.
>
> Do you have /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate?
>
> If not, you should, because it is part of the ntpdate package.  If you do,
> what happens if you disconnect from and reconnect to the network?  It's
> possible that that runs before you can actually get to a time server (I've
> seen that) but even so, it should give a message.

Yes, I do have /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate

#!/bin/sh

(

if [ -r /lib/udev/hotplug.functions ]; then
	. /lib/udev/hotplug.functions
	wait_for_file /usr/sbin/ntpdate-debian
fi

if [ ! -x /usr/sbin/ntpdate-debian ]; then
	exit 0
fi

if [ "$METHOD" = loopback ]; then
	exit 0
fi

# This is a heuristic:  The idea is that if a static interface is brought
# up, that is a major event, and we can put in some extra effort to fix
# the system time.  Feel free to change this, especially if you regularly
# bring up new network interfaces.
if [ "$METHOD" = static ]; then
	OPTS="-b"
fi

invoke-rc.d --quiet ntp stop || true

/usr/sbin/ntpdate-debian -s $OPTS 2>/dev/null

invoke-rc.d --quiet ntp start || true

) &

Still doesn't seem to be running.