hardy on amd laptop. can't apt-get install ksynaptics $#&^%#&^!

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Sep 11 13:19:44 UTC 2008

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> OH no!!!!!
>
> I've just installed hardy from an 8.04.1 alt install cd on a Gateway
> laptop (MT6451 Notebook PC) It has AMD Turion 64x2 processor and a
> 120 gig HD
>
> It installed, but there are a few problems. To me the biggest is that
> this laptop has one of those ^&$^&$*%^(*&(^&ing touchpad pointing
> devices that defaults to tapping enabled. For vista I installed
> synaptics just so I could disable tapping. For every linux I've ever
> installed on this laptop I've installed ksynaptics for the same reason.
>
> This included the edgy I just replaced with hardy... GAWD do I wish I
> had used apt-get to upgrade through each of the releases in between
> as then I might still have ksynaptics which is apparently no longer
> in the repositories...
>
> apt-get install ksynaptics

You're right.  ime, it never did a darn thing anyway.  Both the synaptics
and alps touchpads I've used basically automatically tap whether tapping is
on or off or I'm even near the touchpad.  But thanks for your question,
because this has been driving me batty, recently, and I've just realized
it's because setting up multiple displays in Xorg.conf has regressed my
touchpad fix.

Add to the xorg.conf "InputDevice" section for your touchpad:
        Option          "MaxTapTime"    "0"
I think that will do what you want - I know it will fix _my_ situation!

> And even when I'm typing on the keyboard it seems like the hairs on my
> wrist can apply enough force to the fscking touchpad to cause a click
> event when I didn't think I was touching the durned thing at all...

Oh!  That's what it is.  Time to shave my wrists :-)

If you really want ksynaptics and can't just find a deb, I'll email you the
latest one that was in Ubuntu, as I do still have it.
--
derek