b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Sep 11 04:08:07 UTC 2008

Hi I'm a multiboot linux user from way back. Currently I'm running
Kubuntu, Sabayon, & openSuSE linux installations on both my desktop AND
my laptop. However I noticed that the kubuntu on my laptop, a Gateway
(MT6451 Notebook PC) which has an  AMD Turion 64x2 processor and a
120 gig HD, was still edgy, I decided to do a clean install from an
8.04.1 alt install cd. Which install worked but I'm having a slight
problem with the console (I've already ran # update-rc.d -f kdm remove
to get my cherished non-gui login back) startx fires up kde just like it
should. But it's very annoying that console keeps getting this sequence
of error messages:

[ 1001.541325] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
[ 1001.541384] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware (version 4).
[ 1063.140201] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
[ 1063.140263] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware (version 4).
[ 1124.715360] evdev: nomore free evdev devices
[ 1124.715397] input: failed to attach handler evdev to device input32, error: -23

Then the sequence repeats with higher numbers:

"[ ####.######]" & "device input##,"

This makes it difficult to edit config files from the console...

I don't know much about this except to say that this gateway laptop has
some kind of fancy combination eth0/wlan0 device that I'm supposed to be
able to switch with an fn key combo. I just leave wireless disabled at
all times as I don't ever want my laptop to use wireless anyway, and so
far most linux have defaulted to seeing it as /dev/eth0 Though there was
a copy of mepis I tried once that didn't believe there was an eth0 and
insisted the wlan0 wasn't working properly...

All I know is since I really don't want my laptop to attempt to use this
as a wireless device I'm not so sure I should be downloading such a
driver anyway. And I wouldn't know what to do with said driver if I did
download it anyway...

Is there a way to get hardy to stop looking for a driver for a wireless
device that isn't ever going to be enabled???

Otherwise <grin> would someone care to suggest where I should put the
driver (and how) if I did download it???

Thanks