Time Updates

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Sep 10 14:34:11 UTC 2008

Mark Fraser wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 September 2008 03:27:51 Larry Hartman wrote:

>> > I'm getting nothing here too. Manually doing a sudo ntpdate-debian
>> > works:
>> >
>> > 9 Sep 14:47:58 ntpdate[32107]: step time server 91.189.94.4 offset
>> > -2.149841 sec
>>
>> Only one question, does this tell me when the time server was last polled
>> by my computer, or does it actually poll and adjust my current time?
>
> It polls and adjusts your current time. I'm sure there must be some way of
> getting to update upon boot.

Do you have /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate?

If not, you should, because it is part of the ntpdate package.  If you do,
what happens if you disconnect from and reconnect to the network?  It's
possible that that runs before you can actually get to a time server (I've
seen that) but even so, it should give a message.
--
derek