Anyone tried Dell Mini

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Sep 9 18:03:45 UTC 2008

Billie Walsh schrieb:
> Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>> Art Alexion wrote:

>>> Dell will not sell us the 16 GB drive with Ubuntu -- only with Windows.
>>>

>> what do they get though? i don't understand, what's the point? ubuntu is
>> much cheaper (free) than windows, for the price of a windows license,
>> they can put a bigger SSD drive! or you think they don't want ubuntu
>> getting more customer base than windows?
>>

> I don't remember if it was on this list or another discussing the
> mini-pc's. But, I think they may have hit it on the head. By using
> Ubuntu they lose income. Have you bought an "off-the-shelf" computer
> lately. It takes hours to delete all the crap-ware that comes
> pre-installed. I'm quite sure there are benefits attached with which
> software gets installed and which doesn't.

If Dell delivers crapware as a means to finance profits (I do not know
since it is years ago that I bought Dell as a business customer) then
it would only be fair that customers charge back Dell for the time
they need to delete this mess.

Furthermore, against what soem people here experience, I am situated
in germany, visited the Dell US Website, that charges dollars, not Euros.

And as pointed out, I could configure and move to my cart ubuntu with
16GB ssd, bluetooth, vga, warranty extension, memory upgrde for $ 622

So I can only conclude that Dell offers Europeans a different US
website that they have for Americans? Hard to believe, I think.

Lastly, I would make it very clear to Dell that it is the customer who
decides what product to buy. If more people do it, they will surely
learn from it.;-)

Kind regard
Eberhard

Kind