Anyone tried Dell Mini

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 6 23:17:11 UTC 2008

Jim wrote:
> The thing that gets under my skin about the Dell Inspiron 9 , from what
> I can see on there website, is that the Ubuntu Laptop only offers you a
> 4gb SSD , whereas $Windows is getting a 8 or 16gb SSD for $50.00
> more.(Which is the cost of $Windows)
> Sure you can get the larger drive for Linux for a lot more $$ .
> That sure stops me from buying a Dell.
> Dell has got this plan setup that your going to pay extra for the
> goodies and still end up paying the same or more, than if you bought a
> EEEpc.
> At least least my EEEpc 702 has  a  8gb SSD.
> Dell is not really doing you any favors here.

 From what I've heard, the reason putting Ubuntu (or any other distro)
on a Dell causes either the price to go up or the components to be
downgraded is because they're missing out on all the deals they get to
put AOL icons on the desktop or the Yahoo bar in the task bar or to
bundle some company's photo software with the computer.

If these companies see the light someday and start making cross-platform
software, then the difference in price between Ubuntu and Microsoft will
become obvious.  Barring attempts by MS to change that, of course.

Paul