Time Updates

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Sep 5 19:07:01 UTC 2008

Larry Hartman wrote:

> On Thursday 04 September 2008 09:02:32 pm Steve Lamb wrote:
>> Glenn R Williams wrote:
>> > Actually, the app you want is "ntpdate"
>>
>>     That depends on what they want to do.  ntpdate is a once-off run that
>> hits a server and then is done.
>
> By once-run do you mean at boot-time? Or install time?
>
>> ntp-server (which is also a client) allows
>> for continual updates as long as the machine has a network connection.
>
> Sounds like the continual method is what I am looking for...
>
>> Since it wasn't specified which one (the OP's message could have been
>> taken either way) the best option is to search on ntp and they can choose
>> from there.  ;)

Sheesh - he asked how to set HIS time, not a network's.  ntp is serious
overkill.  ntpdate is _not_ once-off, anyway.  On a default install it runs
every time a network interface is upped - which should keep everything on
time, but I find the defaults rarely actually find a server.

This almost always works for me:
$ cat /etc/default/ntpdate
# servers to check.   (Separate multiple servers with spaces.)
NTPSERVERS="north-america.pool.ntp.org ntp.ubuntulinux.org pool.ntp.org"
#
# additional options for ntpdate
#NTPOPTIONS="-v"
NTPOPTIONS="-u -v"