automatic update notifer

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Sep 5 18:41:39 UTC 2008

Peter Klaassen wrote:

> Op Thursday 28 August 2008 19:50:46 schreef Derek Broughton:
>> So, what about the other questions?
>
> I sent a message with 1,2 mg syslog
> apparantly the forum does not accept that.

Thankfully!  Nobody would have waded through it.

> I close the systemn every night/
> anacron is installed, but something is wrong. see end of my syslog file.
>
> in terminal i started anacron;
> in the end of syslog it shows:
> Aug 28 19:17:01 pk2-desktop /USR/SBIN/CRON[9660]: (root) CMD (   cd / &&
> run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
> Aug 28 19:20:14 pk2-desktop anacron[9692]: Anacron 2.3 started on
> 2008-08-28 Aug 28 19:20:14 pk2-desktop anacron[9692]: Can't open timestamp
> file for job cron.daily: Permission denied
> Aug 28 19:20:14 pk2-desktop anacron[9692]: Aborted
> unquote
>
> I cut the syslog to the last part starting when I fired up the machine
> this morning. (see enclosed)

A good thing too.  There doesn't seem to be anything wrong from your log -
except that I don't see anacron starting other thanwhen you did it manually
(and _that_ didn't work because you didn't use "sudo").

I'm nearly certain the problem is anacron not running, but I'm not sure
why - it gets started from a huge variety of locations: /etc/init.d/ on
boot; or acpid, pmi or apmd on power and hibernation events (so that cron
jobs run when the machine is powered off, even if not rebooted).

Try:
  grep anacron /var/log/syslog
  grep anacron /var/log/syslog.0

Just to check.  One of those should have a message saying "Will run job
`cron.daily' in 5 min.", and a few more indicating success.  If you don't
have that, you don't have anacron running.  I'd suggest the simplest and
most likely fix would be:
  sudo aptitude purge anacron; sudo aptitude install anacron

fwiw, do you REALLY need ntpd? It's unlikely you need it if you're just
running a home system - and you're running ntpdate, as well, which is
redundant.
--
derek