Kaffeine, Xine and kscd fixed in Hardy by /dev/scd0

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Sep 5 14:17:08 UTC 2008

Willy K. Hamra wrote:

> Jerry Lapham wrote:
>>
>> Processing triggers for libc6 ...
>> ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
>>

>> What do those last two lines mean?  Are they the problem.  I think I've
>> installed/updated  libdvdcss2 but I can't find it with a search.

"aptitude show libdvdcss2" would show it as installed.

> no, the last 2 lines are normal. and are usually the last 2 lines when
> installing many other packages.

FYI:
libc6 is one of the most fundamental libraries on your system.  More
important than huge sections of the kernel.  Once upon a time, it was
possible to run an apt upgrade and have libc6 get partially installed, and
leave your system in a completely unusable state.  Particularly, I remember
situations where both libc6 and libc6-i686 were to be updated (libc6-i686
has 686-optimized versions of some parts of libc6) and libc6-i686 would be
updated while libc6 was in its original state.  Recovery was traumatic.  I
took to removing libc6-i686 before doing any upgrade, and reinstalling it
after.

So now, whenever a library is updated that has certain dependencies on
libc6, you'll see these messages - it's just ensuring that the updates to
the library loading configuration get done at safe point.
--
derek