Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is borked.

david d.mcglone at att.net
Fri Sep 5 01:19:41 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008 5:09:17 pm Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> >>
> >> Ah, FC6: the last Fedora that would install on my laptop. I distro
> >> hopped between FC3 - 6 and Ubuntu Warty - Edgy. Both distros were a
> >> pain to install on this machine. However, FC 7 would not install, and
> >> Feisty was the first distro that installed without a problem. What a
> >> split!
> >>
> >> I still run Fedora on a desktop machine, though. I don't remember
> >> which version, but it still updates :)
> >
> > I just couldn't handle the Fedora "cycle". But, it is what it is,
> > bleeding edge. So, I put my money where my mouth is and switched.
> >
> > I've installed Kubuntu and CentOS both to my machine. The problems I had
> > with Xvfb went away with CentOS. Imagine that. Glad to see ya here.
> > Kubuntu is sweet! Plus, the members of this list aren't the knuckle
> > draggers others would have had me believe. Good community of folks here.
> > Ric
>
> kubuntu was my introduction to linux, i have been a windows user for all
> my life, some distro chooser test recommended kubuntu for my level of
> experience, and i tried it, seeing how i have no clue what a distro is :-P
>
> it's been a year since that day, and thanks to this wonderful list, and
> not to forget the nice folks on IRC, i learned about linux in 1 year,
> what took me no less than 3 years to learn on windows.
>
> kubuntu so far has never disappointed me with hardware problems, it
> simply loves my machine, even development versions starting from alpha
> versions (i start using them starting from alpha 3 usually) never did
> any serious problems, with the exception of intrepid (KDE is to be
> blamed). my only experience with other distros is a SUSE liveCD, that i
> think was very nice, and like yast a lot, though i'm sure i haven't ried
> all it's powers on a liveCD. and i installed fedora 7 on vmware, and the
> install hanged 3 times, and had to re do it before being capable to use
> it, i installed GNOME, didn't like the interface, had no idea i could
> have installed KDE, with all this frustration, i deleted the VM after
> barely using it for a day :-P

I guess i'll pitch in my experience with linux.

I started using linux in 1992 or 1994 using RH 5.x (can't remember)

Anyway after about a year of RH I switched to Mandrake. I spent about 2 years
with mandrake and tried SuSE. I liked SuSE. Other than Yast sometimes taking
ages to work, it was overall a great distro. I used SuSE up until they made
YaST closed source. After that a friend suggested trying Ubuntu, but I am a
KDE guy so I opted to try Kubuntu. I've been with it ever since! (I'm pretty
sure 3 years now) I've even tried RH and almost switched back to SuSE last
year. that lasted about 2 days when I realized I really really missed apt!!!!

I'll never leave apt.

--
David M.