Dummkopf's guide to vim

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 07:33:19 UTC 2008

2008/9/4 Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com>:
> I agree also but I think that often nano is not installed whereas VIM
> is. True of other editors also. I know I have in the past been off
> line leading some help and been told to boot some program that I don't
> have on the computer. It drive one mad when you are in the midst of
> some other aggravating problem.
>
> I think one way to make vim much more usable is for it to start in
> edit mode and with a little message that says press :wq to save and
> quit and :q! to force quit. People then could use it without problems
> for just a little edit.
>
> The other thing is to have nano as a default install. Is it at this point?

$ which nano
/usr/bin/nano

Now, this is far from a new install, but I certain did not add that
myself. So either something pulled nano is as a dependency (doubtful),
or it comes installed in 8.04

By the way, Ubuntu does not come with VIM on a standard install
either. You are using VIM-tiny, which is missing quite a few features,
such as vimtutor:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/225231

--
Dotan Cohen