Well done Douglas

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Wed Sep 3 02:06:26 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> Knapp wrote:
>>

>>> As a former programmer, I find that really interesting. I would bet
>>> that they skipped all the installs from before and just started after
>>> that. Mine skips the first slot with one drive and yours skips the
>>> first 2 with 2 drives. Question is was it a mistake or a failed plan?
>>>

>> Sort of both, I suspect.  When IDE drives first started to migrate to SCSI,
>> they must have manually removed the old rules, since most of us don't have
>> this problem.  Yours seem to have been in the second wave of migrations,
>> and that _didn't_ get done.  I suspect the people testing it had already
>> been through that migration, so didn't see a regression.
>> --
>> derek
>>

> But why change it to from IDE to SCSI? My drive is plugged into an IDE port.

A while back on a suse list there was some chatter about this subject. I
don't recall all the gory details because at the time I wasn't terribly
concerned with it. But it boils down to the kernel, or whatever, no
longer tags drives by "hd".  It tags all drives with an "s". That no
longer designates scsi. If I remember right some people were not happy
about this change.

Basically, it boils down to a basic change within Linux.

--
Life is what happens while your busy makeing other plans.