Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is no longer borked.

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Sep 2 16:58:32 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Rod Lovett wrote:
>>
>>> Oh well changing the xine engine parameter media in Kaffeine settings from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd both to /dev/scdo stops all this sillyness and survives reboot so once again well done Douglas.
>>> Cheers
>>> Rod
>>>
>>> P.S.
>>>
>>> This "scd0 advice" was certainly somewhat more helpful than the below su(do) advice dictated too often in (K)ubuntu land.
>>>
>> I still think this may be a bigger problem.  I have two DVD drives, and
>> the suggested solution only would fix the problem with one of the devices.
>>
>> To confuse matters, one of my DVD drives is an IDE, and the other a SATA.
>>
>> My suspicion is that this is a HAL/DBUS problem at heart.
>>

> I think you are most likely right. Can you post your ftab file?

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/hda1
UUID=f5818467-4e5c-4219-94f2-182bf7e6b42b / ext3
nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
# /dev/hda5
UUID=b06ff899-4a37-4613-9020-5ada5959c8b9 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
/dev/sdc /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
/dev/sda3 /media/SuSE auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/NTFS auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

I have three hard drives and two cd/dvd. One IDE, Kubuntu, and two SATA,
XP and OpenSuse.

> And
> also look and see what you have in /dev/ as far as cd and dvd stuff?
> Use ls -al to get the links to show. I am just wondering what IS going
> on.

I posted a list of he CD/DVD listed in /dev in another post