Kaffeine playback jerky

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Sep 2 15:17:22 UTC 2008

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Billie Walsh schrieb:
>

>> I just noticed that even the mouse motion is jerky while the DVD is playing.
>>

> Hi,
>
> just another thought.
> Maybe a DMA Issue?
>
> Is your dvd set to use DMA.
> to find out, try
>
> sudo hdparm /dev/yourDVDdevice
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

I get basically nothing.

/dev/scd0:
 IO_support    =  0 (default)
16-bit)
 HDIO_GET_UNMASKINTR failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
 HDIO_GET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
 HDIO_GET_KEEPSETTINGS failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
 readonly      =  0 (off)
 readahead     = 256 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I don't know what an "ioctl" is either.

Tried it with a disk in the drive and not in. Same results either way.

Looking in /dev I see cdrom2, cdrom3, cdrw2, cdrw3, dvd2, dvd3, dvdrw2
listed. I have one (1) cd/dvd combo drive and one (1) dvdrw drive.
Mostly I use the dvdrw.

I'm wondering if there's an issue of system resources. Playing a disc in
my laptop [ 8.04/3.5.9 - 1.8GHz 4gig ] the hard drive and DVD lights
just flicker every once in a while. Same on my winders box. BUT, in my
main computer [ 8.04/3.5.9 - 3GHz 2gig ] the hard drive light in on
continuous as well as the DVD light.