Kaffeine playback jerky

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Sep 2 14:35:34 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
>>> Here Billie, Add Option "VideoOverlay" "on"  to your xorg.conf file. Here is
>>> an example of mine:
>>>
>>> Section "Device"
>>>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
>>>         Option          "VideoOverlay"  "on"
>>>         Driver          "fglrx"
>>>
>>> Then restart your X server or reboot your computer. You shouldn't have any
>>> choppy video now.
>>>

>> This just gets weirder and weirder. Here is my section of etc/x11/xorg.conf
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Thats all there is.
>>

> It seems to be that Linux is switching over to totally auto configure
> instead of using configure files. I don't KNOW this but it seems to be
> what is happening. My xorg.conf was blank like that too but I had to
> add a lot. Just be sure to make a backup of the original and then play
> with it. Did you try David's idea?

I haven't had a chance to try his suggestion yet. I was up half the
night with trashed video settings. *<]:oD

First I made sure the fglrx drivers were all in place. Then I went
through System Settings to set the video driver to fglrx. Bad idea!!
After restarting all I could get was 800x600 resolution. System settings
couldn't "fix" it. Long story short, after messing with it for a couple
hours I finally opened a terminal and "sudo dolphin". Deleted all but
one known good version of xorg.conf from an earlier setup, renamed it
"xorg.conf", renamed the "falback" conf to keep it from running, crossed
my fingers and restarted. Back to 1280x1024 where it belongs. One part
lucky, one part stupid.