Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is borked.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 20:47:31 BST 2008

2008/9/1 Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
>>> Shouldn't it be looking in /mnt and not in /dev?
>
> Shouldn't think so - I don't have _anything_ in /mnt, but one would expect
> that to be a mount point, not a device.
>
> My xine settings say /dev/cdrom for CD and /dev/dvd for DVD (they both point
> to the same device).  These are stock settings from a gutsy install.

I may have been thinking in Fedora terms. Here on my Kubuntu box the
cdrom is in /media:
$ ls /media
cdrom  cdrom0

In any case, removable storage is usually accessed by user programs
outside of /dev, whether it be /media or /mnt or /whatever. Only fixed
hardware is generally still accessed from /dev, such as webcams and
the like.

Again this may not be a hard fast rule, just something that I've
observed. I might have my head on backwards in this area though. I'll
shut up before someone gets hurt.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com