Kaffeine in Kubuntu 8.04 is borked.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 22:05:34 UTC 2008

2008/9/1 Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
>> I may have been thinking in Fedora terms. Here on my Kubuntu box the
>> cdrom is in /media:
>> $ ls /media
>> cdrom  cdrom0
>
> Yes, but that's the mount point - that's where you'll see a filesystem, but
> as somebody else pointed out, DVDs and Audio CDs don't strictly have a
> filesystem.

No, but they are mounted to the system filesystem, and their contents
is presented as files, just like everything else (even directories) in
Linux.

>> In any case, removable storage is usually accessed by user programs
>> outside of /dev,
>
> But not by media programs, which usually need to know the device (q.v. k3b
> or any other burner utility, that - like kaffeine - need to access the
> device).

I agree the k3b (or rather, the tools that k3b manages) do need to
access the device, I do not believe that read-only needs to access the
device. Kaffeine only needs the files, which can be represented under
a mountpoint on the filesystem.

>> whether it be /media or /mnt or /whatever. Only fixed
>> hardware is generally still accessed from /dev, such as webcams and
>> the like.
>
> Actually, my webcam isn't... :-)

Interesting. I've had to play around with configuring webcams, and all
the ones I have had the misfortune of trying were under /dev. Though,
they were all usb devices. I would like to stress that I am not the
guru in this department.

> It's really not about the type of device, it's what you want to do with it.
> If you have to access a filesystem on a device, you access its mountpoint.
> If you have to access the device itself, while you may get it via a
> symlink, it's the /dev device you talk to.

Agreed.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com