Kaffeine playback jerky

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Mon Sep 1 17:54:27 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
>
>> I've been following the thread about Kaffeine Borked with interest. I
>> had been unable to get DVD,s to play also. Some error message about
>> dvdcss not being installed but it was. Anyway, I checked and sure enough
>> changing the source to scd0 fixed that part. Now they play, but there's
>> a new problem.
>>
>> Playback is VERY jerky on both home recorded media and commercial
>> media.. The computer is a 3.5GHz, with two gigs of memory so there
>> shouldn't be an issue there. What I notice is that both the hard drive
>> light and dvd drive lights are on constantly during playback.
>>
>> --
>> Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.
>>

> Start by telling what graphics card you have and if it is set up for
> openGL and if your player is set to use it. I an not sure what the
> best driver selections are for the players but I know on my system
> there are a lot of choices.
Probably should also say it Kubuntu 8.04/KDE 3.5.9

It's an ATI Radeon video card using the ATI drivers. Near as I can
figure it out Kaffeine is set to use the default driver/card under
xengine parameters. It's the built in video "card" on the mother board.

Is there a CLI command that will give me the exact card?

It seems that I used to use the fglrx drivers on this computer, but
can't guarantee that. That is an option in System settings. The other
options listed are fbdev, 8500, and vesa