Skype replacement

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 08:58:25 UTC 2008

2008/9/1 Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> 2008/8/31 Sylviane et Perry White <spwhite at freesurf.ch>:
>
>>> I'm not relpying to myself but adding to my previous answer.
>>> I hadden't read all the material provided by Edmund at that moment, and
>>> just
>>> foud out that SKIPE  is
>>> *known to have a hidden Government Interception Module*
>>
>> Please tell us how you know this. These accusations are made of all
>> proprietary software, including (and especially) the Windows operating
>> system. Even SELinux has been accused of this. Even HARDWARE has been
>> accused of having backdoors.
>> In any case, Skype is a network application. Always assume that every
>> node along the network is sniffing.
>>
> Precisely.  I don't know or care whether skype has any such module, because
> it doesn't matter.  Various government agencies _do_ monitor phone calls
> and the Internet.  We know the Chinese monitor the Internet in great
> detail.  There's nothing that Skype could grab from your conversations that
> the NSA or MI6 or Maxwell Smart can't pull directly from the 'net.

I don't think it's that easy to just sniff the net for skype calls and
get any usefully info from that. For what i know the skype protocol
uses RSA for key negotiation and AES to encrypt the conversation. So
without the keys or some program/access to the "end-points" of the
conversations i don't think you can listen to the call.

/ Jonas