Skype replacement

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Mon Sep 1 04:02:38 UTC 2008

On Sunday 31 August 2008 18:57, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > foud out that SKIPE  is
> > *known to have a hidden Government Interception Module*
>
> Please tell us how you know this. These accusations are made of all
> proprietary software, including (and especially) the Windows operating
> system. Even SELinux has been accused of this. Even HARDWARE has been
> accused of having backdoors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VoIP_software.
That was one link provided by Edmund.
[snip]
> you should google the underhanded C contest and see that these
> backdoors can exist in FOSS software as well.
Only more difficult to hide. I also read about how SKYPE has an obfuscated
code to hinder retro-engeneering.

> In any case, Skype is a network application. Always assume that every
> node along the network is sniffing.
Right, I knew that and I wonder why I overreacted to the mere fact that the
sniffing was built in the program. Perhaps this is somewhat more efficient
than network sniffing.

Knap said:
> The only thing that keeps the government from knowing everything about
> everything you do is that they don't want to know.
In Switzerland we had a police file scandal when it turned out a huge number
of people were "filed" for just any reason (on saturdays he stays
bare-chested in his garden...)
At that time the bigger the file, the less usefull it could be. Now with
modern computing...

I guess we shall all live happily in this Brave New World.

Greetings		Perry

--
BOFH excuse #198: Post-it Note Sludge leaked into the monitor