Skype replacement

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Sep 1 03:39:16 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/8/31 Sylviane et Perry White <spwhite at freesurf.ch>:

>> I'm not relpying to myself but adding to my previous answer.
>> I hadden't read all the material provided by Edmund at that moment, and
>> just
>> foud out that SKIPE  is
>> *known to have a hidden Government Interception Module*
>
> Please tell us how you know this. These accusations are made of all
> proprietary software, including (and especially) the Windows operating
> system. Even SELinux has been accused of this. Even HARDWARE has been
> accused of having backdoors.
> In any case, Skype is a network application. Always assume that every
> node along the network is sniffing.

Precisely.  I don't know or care whether skype has any such module, because
it doesn't matter.  Various government agencies _do_ monitor phone calls
and the Internet.  We know the Chinese monitor the Internet in great
detail.  There's nothing that Skype could grab from your conversations that
the NSA or MI6 or Maxwell Smart can't pull directly from the 'net.

Now, if Skype had some secret module that turned on your microphone and
bugged your home, _that_ would be scary.
--
derek