Kaffeine Problem

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Fri Oct 31 20:04:45 UTC 2008

On Friday 31 October 2008 17:42, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I'm trying to play a DVD and getting an encryption error message. The
> message says that I need to run 'sudo
> /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh" - which I have done. Even after
> running this, I still get the encryption error.
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix?

This problem with Kaffeine was discussed a while back, and I did get Kaffeine
working on my Hardy heron install. You need to make sure that you have the
libdvdcss2 package installed, so that encrypted DVD's can be decrypted. Even
after installing the package you may still get the above message, which is
misleading as to the actual problem. You can get libdvdcss2 from the
medibuntu repo, details below if you dont have it in /etc/apt/sources.list.

Go to http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu , and add the repos for your
as directed for your Kubuntu version.

Then do an apt-get install medibuntu-keyring , which will install the GPG key
for the repo.

I got my Kaffeine playing DVD's, after installing libdvdcss2, by renaming the
~/.xine file, and restarting Kaffeine, which then created a new .xine file.
Saying that though, I may have had to do that a couple of times, as I see I
have 2 backups for .xine, and possibly rebooted as well. I remember having to
go through the hoops a bit, to get Kaffeine working with DVD's.

Something else I remember from the earlier kaffeine thread, was to do with
Kaffeine not finding the optical drive, which is why the error message
displayed. My Kaffeine >Settings > xine Engine Parameters >media, shows the
dvd device as /dev/dvd. Have a look in /dev, and see which block
device /dev/dvd is pointing to. Mine in Hardy Heron is pointing to scd0,
which is correct.

That will do for now. Post back please.

Which Kubuntu version have you installed, and was this an upgrade, or a fresh
install?

All the best.

Nigel.