Upgrading packages

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 10:24:13 UTC 2008

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>>> I notice that some repositories are not included in the automatic
>>> updating of packages, eg Universe.
>>>
>>> If I am using a package from such a repository and I notice that there
>>> is a new version available, what is the best way to upgrade please?
>> Turn on universe in your favorite package manager...
>>
>> If it's not included in automatic updating, it's only because it's either
>> not present or not enabled in sources.list
>
> Universe is enabled in sources.list. Here is the relevant section from
> the file
>
>> ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
>> ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
>> ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
>> ## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
>> ## team.
>> deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
>> deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
>> deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
>> deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
>
> As you can see it says that I will not receive updates. Is there some
> way around this please?

I believe that you are just interpreting the statement the wrong way. It
says that the Ubuntu Security Team are not involved in reviewing updates
to the Universe repos as these are packages not maintained by Ubuntu
Security Team. That does not mean they do not get updated every now and
then.

Correct me if I am wrong,
Sinclair