how to pin specific packages based on origin

P Kapat kap4lin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 16:19:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> P Kapat wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:47 PM, P Kapat <kap4lin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Specifically, why doesn't the following pinning work?
>>>
>>> Package: *vlc*
>>> Pin: origin ppa.launchpad.net
>>> Pin-Priority: 800
>>>
>>> Whereas the following does:
>>>
>>> Package: *
>>> Pin: origin ppa.launchpad.net
>>> Pin-Priority: 800
>>>
>>> This is not what I want! I just want to pin the vlc packages from
>>> launchpad at higher piority. This is not vlc or launchpad specific. I
>>> have tried to ping other packages from different origin, without
>>> success; unless I pin ALL (using *) packages from that origin!
>>
>> No apt- guru here? Share some of your apt-fu....
>
> Well, I've done it before, but pinning is pretty arcane and always liable to
> work differently from your expectations, so I gave it up.  I went looking
> for examples when you asked, but I don't have anything left around.

Thanks Derek.

I certainly agree with your point of pinning being arcane. I've always
stayed away from it, unless forced to. The current days in Hardy are
very difficult. I want to use some of the latest software like vlc,
opera, R, etc. but official repos won't have them. So, I have to
resort to other repos, and of them, ppa.launchpad is a huge one. But I
don't want unnecessary packages to be upgraded just because of
enabling these repos. So, I am forced to apt-pinning. Where do you
suggest I mail? Debian-users? Anywhere apt-specific?

--
Regards
PK