Dumb gnubie hard disk question, part II

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 06:50:33 UTC 2008

jdesmond at fast.net wrote:
> Salutations, gentlefolk !
>
> And thanks for the prompt advice!
>
> Now, I typed in:
>
> john at blackbox:~$ sudo fdisk /dev/sdb -l
>
> and got:
>
> Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x00000000
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1   *           1        1023     8217243   55  EZ-Drive
>
> And then:
>
> john at blackbox:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/westdigA
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>

> Second, have downloaded the file thunderbird-2.0.0.17.tar.gz, and extracted the
> contents.  Trying to ifgure out how to get the program up and running and
> retreiving my Emails ?

I am not too good with the mount this and mount that but why don't you
try and open System Settings from the menu, then go to the Advanced tab
and choose Disks and Filesystems? I think you should be able to sort it
from there.

Thunderbird: From menu open Adept (found under System menu), search for
Thunderbird. Expand the Thunderbird  "arrow", choose Request Install and
then press button Apply Changes.

The Adept system is the main way of installing things in Kubuntu.

Regards,
Sinclair