KDE File Chooser in GTK apps on Kubuntu

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:06:37 UTC 2008

2008/10/21 Gordon Schulz <gordon.schulz at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:30, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > I agree with you here - but then again some GNOME users will probably
>> > want to give their right leg for Amarok to use GTK.
>>
>> dotan at laptop:~$ limbtogtk -l rightLeg | grep amarok
>> http://www.exaile.org/
> Interesting, I wasn't aware such a project existed. Thanks for pointing
> that out.
>
>> > Unless there is some
>> > freedesktop.org standardization or well defined APIs by both KDE/QT and
>> > GNOME/GTK (which is pretty unlikely for something as internal as file selectors)
>> > anything that does what the OP linked to is pretty much a quite crude
>> > hack in my book. Quite likely to break from version to version etc.
>>
>> Actually, they do work stably enough from version to version, but not
>> from app to app. So the Firefox solution differs from the Open Office
>> solution, etc. However, once implemented this could be maintained by
>> the _distro_, where it should be maintained. This is a distro issue,
>> not an application issue.
> Is it really a distribution issue? So OpenSuSE should have their own set
> of patches against  Firefox and Ooo as should Mandriva, Kubuntu and all the
> other KDE-centric distributions?

Right, just like every distro has their own installer, and package
management, and bugtrackers, etc. The distro is the glue holding the
packages together. Whatever affects the integration of the upstream
packages is the responsibility of the distro.

> I'm not liking that idea too much -
> sounds like reinventing the wheel over and over again.

So is having multiple installers, package managers, etc...

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il