KDE File Chooser in GTK apps on Kubuntu

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 15:30:53 UTC 2008

2008/10/21 Gordon Schulz <gordon.schulz at gmail.com>:
> I agree with you here - but then again some GNOME users will probably
> want to give their right leg for Amarok to use GTK.

dotan at laptop:~$ limbtogtk -l rightLeg | grep amarok
http://www.exaile.org/

> Unless there is some
> freedesktop.org standardization or well defined APIs by both KDE/QT and
> GNOME/GTK (which is pretty unlikely for something as internal as file selectors)
> anything that does what the OP linked to is pretty much a quite crude
> hack in my book. Quite likely to break from version to version etc.

Actually, they do work stably enough from version to version, but not
from app to app. So the Firefox solution differs from the Open Office
solution, etc. However, once implemented this could be maintained by
the _distro_, where it should be maintained. This is a distro issue,
not an application issue. And it is a real issue for a lot of people.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il