KDE File Chooser in GTK apps on Kubuntu

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 15:20:11 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 8:52:53 am Gordon Schulz wrote:
> Could someone enlighten me why anyone developing for KDE and thus using
> QT and kdelibs should be interested in and spending time on deploying
> 'hacks' for GTK apps to use foreign file selectors?

Because some apps do not have a fully functional KDE equivalent.  Firefox and
OpenOffice come to mind.*  While the core KDE team may have no interest in
this, there is usually someone with development talent who does.  That is the
nice thing about global open source.  Someone already has done some of this
in a package, the name of which escapes me at this point.

*Yeah, I know there is konqueror and koffice, but there are plenty of web
sites that konqueror does not work well with, and koffice, while admirable is
not adequate in a heterogeneous office environment.