The NEW 3D PanUbuntu Was: Is it me or does Hardy run like a pig?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 13:13:56 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I always thought (but not deeply :) ) that a first-person *world* would make a
> great UI. Imagine something like PlaneShift (the game, very nice BTW) where
> this happens:
>
> I am in the main room of my castle. Each wall is a 'desktop' I can zoom into
> it, tear away zip across to another (or the ceiling). I can go out the door
> into another set of desktops. Perhaps I code in the main room and run email
> and stuff in the next.
>
> I don't have time to walk through doors and down stairs, but I can setup
> hyperspace portals to any room.
>
> Icons to start apps can be on desktops or can be hanging like paintings on the
> walls or floating around the space.
>
> I can have a vast room full of folder icons. Documents that I can throw around
> (bump desktop style) and arrange into stacks as I need.
>
> The Recycle room can be a pile of trash -- folder and document icons all
> scrunched-up. I can arrange them as I need. I pull a lever on the wall and
> the floor opens and they all fall into a giant fire!
>
> I get a call on Skype (I know, don't kill me but Ekiga just won't work) and I
> zip up to my sky-room where the interface floats before me. If I need to drop
> a file onto the chat I can open a 'globe' which calls the entire castle into
> it and I can quickly zip to the folder room and find one. I drag the 3D
> document icons to the chat.
>
> Daemons could be actual monsters and such. Apache would be an indian with the
> feather :) They walk about in the dungeons mostly. Their speed of walking
> (flying, lurching) could indicate their activity. When the fork, they clone
> and the children are smaller and chained to the parent.
> To kill them you shoot them. Of course :D
>
> Outer space could be where you keep widgets orbiting the planet. Want to see
> the latest Dilbert? Hyperspace to there and fly around your widget space.
>
> SSH would start a new castle next door!
>
> And so on. Would be cool. Now go code damnit!
>
> \d

Did some research, running  a 3d program that has floating icons,
clicking them to start a program is easy. Making the program that is
started project onto anything in the 3d program is VERY hard. So we
could with ease make it an run it on top of KDE as a program started
and fun toy. Anything more would take real work, unless I am missing
something.

--
Douglas E Knapp