avi files

Joel Oliver joelol75 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 17 20:38:56 UTC 2008

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 6:58 AM, Richard Ibbotson
> <richard.ibbotson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Peter
>>

>>> What makes .avi play under Kubuntu Linux HH 8.04?
>>> Or do they have to me altered to another extension?
>>> I have installed the medibuntu repo in my resources.
>>>
>> Just about anything.  Xine, Gxine, VLC Mediaplayer, Mplayer.  You can
>> convert between formats with Kino.  'sudo apt-get install kino' at the
>> command line or 'sudo apt-cache search xine-ui'.  Or, 'sudo apt-cache
>> show vlc'.  Also, 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras'
>> might give you a sound driver that is not installed.
>>
>> See also 'sudo apt-cache search video'
>>

> Keep in mind that avi is just a container which can store any of a
> number of codecs.  This is why some avi play better than others.

Yep, goto synaptic and search codec and install the good,bad, and ugly
gstreamer codecs, the w32codec package and any other codecs you can
find...  VLC has all the codecs already installed (I think) so it's a
one-stop-shop video player.  Totem I believe uses the xine backend now.
Some others use the gstreamer.... So to add to the confusion you need
the same codecs over and over....  I think the ubuntu-restricted-extras
package plants most of these and the libdvdcss2 and dvdread packages to
watch commecial dvd's.

Of course If you live in the draconian USA where nothing is free, doing
anything I said is illegal and subject to...