Dual boot Gutsy and Hardy

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Thu Oct 16 16:21:31 UTC 2008

On Thursday 16 October 2008, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have Googled for dual booting but everyone seems to assume that you
> want to have Linux and Windows. Not so.
>
> Can anyone start me off please? Will this be a simple task using the
> alternate CD?

Make a new partition  for  root (/)  and  boot (/boot)  I will assume you have
a partition all by itself for  /home   but if not, also define a new
partition for /home

Install the system and use the 'manual' definition of partitions.   Assign
your new partitions to  /  and /boot   and /home  (new or old)

Tell it to format (if needed) the new   /   and /boot   and if /home is new,
format that too.

Install the new system.

It will now boot to the new system.   You will have to edit
the /boot/grub/menu.lst  to include the entries for the old system.  When
that is done, you can boot the old or new system.

When I am doing the manual set up of partitions, I also assigned the old
partitions in the system to make life easy.   Such as:

/bootgutsy
/gutsy

Thus, when hardy is booted, you will have access to the /bootgutsy and /gutsy
partitions for copying files.

If you made a new /home, you will have to copy the files from gutsy over to
your new /home partition.