Fresh install?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Thu Oct 16 15:09:39 UTC 2008

> Same here.  A Kubuntu upgrade went bad for me and I was never warned
> that it may kill my system.  So, I ended up losing my whole system plus
> some of my personal files because my system became unusable and I never
> backed anything up.  It may be uncommon, but it is not extremely rare.
> This is one of the main reasons why I always prefer a new install every
> time.

An acquaintance of mine once decided to upgrade the home computer from
windoze 95 to 98, I think it was. The machine had never, ever been backed
up, so everything was lost. Including college work that his wife had spent
several months typing up. For a while, divorce proceedings seemed to be
imminent. Last I heard, they were still together, so maybe he spent his
evenings and weekends doing lots and lots of typing.

Personally, I prefer to make backups of everything I need to keep, then put
a new hard drive in the computer, and install to that. That way, if you do
discover that there was something else on the old drive that you needed, it
can always be recovered. Considering the price of hard drives these days,
the cost of doing this is almost irrelevant. A couple of months later,
perhaps, the old drive can be recycled into another machine and put back
into use.

Dave