Fresh install?

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Wed Oct 15 16:46:29 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 15 October 2008, Paul Lemmons wrote:
> Am I the only one with such a positive experience with the upgrade
> process? Do more of you upgrade or rebuild? Why the constant advice to
> backup your system, remember all of the apps you installed and then
> trash it to install clean and restore apps and files with a prayer that
> you did not miss anything?

I always do fresh installs.

1) It cleans things up...
2) You learn a lot.
3) You get to find out what is new and don't miss some of the new options.
4) If the upgrade goes bad, you are left with nothing.  And need to install
fresh anyway.  (this happened to me and is why I will never upgrade again)
5) If you have a minor bug in the upgraded system, you will never know whether
it is a bug in the new release or some incompatibility in the upgrade.
6) You learn a lot
7) You get to go over your notes.  (you *do* have notes don't you?)
8) You can get rid of things you never use or that didn't work out.
9) If you have the space, you can install the new and still keep the old, thus
having both to cross-check things/bugs.
10) You learn a lot.