SD card suddenly read-only

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 13:33:47 UTC 2008

2008/10/15 Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes at yahoo.com>:
> [...]

It's not all about UTF, FAT is an _old_ filesystem and it's still
needs to read and store the filenames in the "old" format to be
backward compatibility besides the vfat UTF-16 encoded names.

You need the iocharset mount option in order for non-ASCII characters
in file names to be interpreted properly and it should be the same as
the character set of your locale. So if you have a UTF-8 locale it
should be set to utf8

You need the codepage to do the conversion from long to short file
names and it should be set to the codepage number used under MS-DOS in
your country.

> besides utf is not unicode - the specification says unicode. Windows is talking also about unicode.
UTF (Unicode Transformation Format) is a variable-length character
encoding for Unicode. There are several ways to encode Unicode, to
name a few UTF-1, UTF-7, UTF-8 and UCS-4 there are all unicode just
different ways how to encode them.

> I think Dotans problem is useing default values which corresponds to western chars ... but of course I'm not sure about it.
> most file names are may be in the iso8859 table but having one in hebrew breaks his task ... as far as I understood
>
> regards

Yes i think so to. Perhaps someday all layers involving characters
will work with unicode and we dont have to care about all this
conversation.

/ Jonas