SD card suddenly read-only

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 10:42:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Jason Straight
<jason at jeetkunedomaster.net> wrote:
> On Monday 13 October 2008 20:19:24 Dotan Cohen wrote (Reply at bottom):
>
>> 2008/10/14 Willy K. Hamra <w.hamra1987 at gmail.com>:
>
>> > it looks like a corruptio in the filesystem. do you have a windows
>
>> > machine? theyusually handle fat filesystems better, you can put it
>
>> > there, and run chkdsk on it.
>
>> > or you can use fsck.vfat in kubuntu (not sure if it's good, never tried
>
>> > it before), but remember to umount it first.
>

>> > sudo umount /dev/sdb1
>
>> > sudo fsck.vfat /dev/sdb1 -v -r
>
>> > (-r will run it in interactive repair mode)
>

>> > if this doesn't solve it, i guess you're only option is
>

>> > sudo umount /dev/sdb1
>
>> > sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /somewhere -o rw,force
>
>> > (use at your own risk)
>

>> I don't have access to a Windows machine, but I will format the card
>
>> when I do. Thanks.
>
> you can format it with linux as well - sudo mkfs.vfat -F32 /dev/[sdcard]
>
> or -F16 if you want fat16.

ckfs in Linux works fine on fat32.  I'd try to repair if you need the
data before you reformat.  And yes, you can format it as fat32 in
Linux.

The WinMob OS on the Axim is likely not sophisticated enough to detect
corruption in the file system until it becomes unusable.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface