Beta 8.10 released

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 11 14:31:08 UTC 2008

On Thursday 09 October 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
>On Thursday 09 October 2008 5:56:35 am Art Alexion wrote:
>> > Ok, reverse the debate: I have never had Amarok crash on me...ever.
>> > Kmail crashed once a month ago. I use both 12 hours a day, with hard-
>> > core usage and email going back to 1994 in 200 folders, and 30gb of
>> > music. Do I disbelieve you? Nope, just glad it ain't me having the
>> > crashes. I would encourage you to launch from the command line and
>> > look for a reason that kmail crashes...might be something easy to
>> > debug or easy to report.
>>
>> Amarok crashes on me twice a day. Kmail 3.5.10 crashes thrice daily.
>> 3.9.9 never crashed that I recall.
>
>This is the greeting from my computer this morning

I would submit that you have hardware problems.  Bad memory or ??  Slowed fan
on the cpu or its cooler clogged with dust bunnies?

Uptimes here rarely exceed 10 days cuz I follow the kernel -rc series, but I
can't recall the last time kmail crashed.  Currently running 3.5.10-1 from
the F8 repo.

The biggest problem I have here is that kde seems to have alzheimers when it
comes to remembering the screen blanker and monitor powerdown settings, so I
have to change something by 1 minute and refresh those settings every other
day or so.

A 24 hour or so run of memtest86 seems to be the first recommendation.  But
its faster to open it up and take an air hose to the cpu cooler & make sure
the fan turns freely, bouncing back and forth gently as it stops when you
give it a spin with your finger.  If it doesn't bounce a bit, its dragging,
replace the cooler.  Don't forget to clean the cpu and re-apply the
recommended heat transfer grease if it uses that, or the little sheet of
silicon used if grease isn't used.  I like 'artic silver' as the grease.  If
it turns freely, do not disturb the sink on the cpu, ever.  Then fire up
memtest86 and let it run several passes.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Inara: "I didn't mean petty."