latest update needs ridiculous new packages

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Oct 10 13:50:53 UTC 2008

Willy K. Hamra wrote:

> can someone tell me why the latest update requires the installation of
> some new packages like bluetooth? i don't have bluetooth, don't have BT
> dongle, a BT phone, or anything related to it!
> mobile-broadband-provider-info, i don't even USE a mobile!
> not to mention libgweather1 , BAAH!

That's not the "latest" update.  Hardy installed bluetooth, and iirc, so did
Gutsy.  It's just because kubuntu-desktop depends on everything the
developers think you're likely to need.  Feel free to remove them (and
kubuntu-desktop with it).  kubuntu-desktop will then get added back before
upgrading to the _next_ release, if you use the adept updater.

libgweather1 seems odd though - isn't that a gnome library?
--
derek