how keep up with latest nv drivers?

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Thu Oct 9 23:59:23 UTC 2008

On Thursday 09 October 2008, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> After years of ATi I switched to NVidia.
> I installed driver 173 with envy-ng from the 8.04 repository.
> Now - NVidia released a new driver version, I'd like to install it but envy
> doesn't list it.
> What are my options here?
> (running the installer from NVidia is not an option unless it got capable
> of building Ubuntu debs.. like ATi does... one of the few advantages on
> ATi)

All of the NV packages I have installed (from their website) are  '.run'
packages.   No   .deb is needed.

Just make the package executable and  execute it.

I've never installed an NV driver from the respositories.

Note:  you may need the following statement in
your /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common   file:

 DISABLED_MODULES="nv"

to prevent the normal nv module from being loaded.