8.10b - first impression and questions [Yes, I am going to hijack this thread!]

Emanoil Kotsev deloptes at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 23:39:45 UTC 2008

--- On Fri, 10/10/08, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> From: Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>
> Subject: Re: 8.10b - first impression and questions [Yes, I am going to hijack this thread!]
> To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Friday, October 10, 2008, 1:08 AM
> Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>
> > I think one very important name should be mentioned
> here - the man called
> > Michail Gorbatchov. If it wasn't him we could end
> up in a nuclear desaster
> > and linux wouldn't see the daylight at all ;-)
>
> OK, if you want to go all serious on us :-)
>
> I agree - Gorbachev was vital.  I shudder to think what
> could have happened
> if Yeltsin or Putin had been at the helm instead of
> Gorbachev.
> --

No, I don't want to get very serious on it. In fact there was one between Brezhnev (not sure in spelling either) and Gorbachev (thanks for this didn't know how you spell it), whos name I don't remember, and he "died" very fast after taking the leadership, but he was a hardliner and was going to start the nuclear war - neither "maggie" nor "ronnie" ware able to stop him.

So just objective as far as possible view of history, after we learned that metrics are not taught in US, may be people don't know how serious the situation between Brezhnev and Gorbatchev was, and in fact Gorbachev was the one who decided to change things - respect. Respect also to Putin who gave the russians their self esteam back. I'm not a russian, rather I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I've been living/working in west europe for the past 12 years and I see how people are disinformed about what's going on in russia all the time. Not that's good but taking in account what has been there before and in the time of Yeltsin I understand why russians like Putin.

regards