glxgears running slow - 8.10

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Thu Oct 9 10:35:29 UTC 2008

Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I did a clean install of 8.10 on my boy's box. It's an athlon decent powered machine (about 4
>> years old) with a pci express Nvidia graphics card - can't remember all the details - but never
>> had problems running 3D apps before.
>>
>> I installed the Nvidia graphics driver (as Kubuntu recommended - restricted drivers) and glxgears
>> gives a lowly plus/minus 800 FPS.
>> My Dell Inspiron 1525 runs at 1158.077 FPS plus/minus.
>>
>> How can I increase the FPS on my boy's box? They really want to play some 3D games - and I don't
>> want them using my laptop all the time ;-)
>>
>> Blessings,
>>
>> Nigel
>>

> are desktop effects on? firstly, if you want games, desktop effects
> makes games' screen glitchy, it's better to turn them off.
> on my PC, i get around 1300 FPS when desktop effects are on, and i'm not
> touching anything, as soon as i start moving the mouse it goes down to
> 700. but if effects are off, it would go to 2000 on rest, and about 1500
> when moving the mouse over various plasma objects.
>
> BTW, alt-f12 is a hotkey for toggling effects on and off

I disabled desktop effects and glxgears is now giving a very good output -- and more importantly,
my son can play on his box instead of my laptop BUT he complains that the overall game play is
slower because his box is 4 years older than my laptop -- so he still asks to use mine :-(

Lesson for parents -- buy your kids a faster machine than yours.....

Blessings,

Nigel