Beta 8.10 released

Thu Oct 9 00:48:18 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 08 October 2008, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Thursday 09 October 2008 09:57:55 Brendan wrote:
> > Honestly, your good experience does not cancel out my bad one. I'm not
> > blaming XP. It's the best OS that company has ever released. But, it's
> > not a real OS, it's just a thing you click in.
>
> Ok, that statement puts you firmly in the troll/linux fanboy camp, its
> ludicrous to say that.

Huh?
Can you tell me that I have gained any actual knowledge by using it? No, I
click a new box in the new version of Windows. To me, that's a "click here to
make this OS do something".
Like the famous "Repair connection" button. What does it do? No clue. Can I
find out? Not really. But in Linux, I can gain that knowledge. In Windows,
would I know anything about what DHCP is, etc? Nope. Under Linux....etc. etc.
you get the point.

I'm not a "fanboy" at all. If you feel the need to pigeon-hole me and act a
twit, then that is *your* foolish choice, not mine.

> > Ok, reverse the debate: I have never had Amarok crash on me...ever.
>
> Amarok 1.x - never crashes on me, I love it. The 2.x Beta? constantly,
> however its a beta so I'm not complaining, its to be expected. What I do
> dislike is this trend I'm seeing in other KDE 4 app "upgrades" - its
> supposedly prettier (debatable) and a hell of a lot less usable.
>
> Take the KDE4 vs of the update manager, I've seen rave reviews of how good
> it looks. Tried it out today - yes it looks great, but now its missing the
> info on many MB its going to download! crucial info for me on my capped
> account.

I don't use either of them.
apt-get with aliases like:
alias acs='apt-cache search'
alias ag='apt-get'
alias agdu='apt-get -V dist-upgrade'
alias agi='apt-get -V install'
alias agu='apt-get update'
alias aguu='apt-get -V upgrade'

And Amarok 1.x for me.
It's just a music player. How many features does one need?

> > Kmail
> > crashed once a month ago. I use both 12 hours a day, with hard-core usage
> > and email going back to 1994 in 200 folders
>
> I'm guessing you're using POP3 and local folders - thats well known to be
> stable. IMAP and Cached IMAP are *NOT*

Yep. I use Thunderbird for my IMAP account. Works a charm.

> Cached IMAP + Groupware is  80% of Kontacts utility is for me and its far
> to flaky for consistent use, always has been. Yesterday I deleted my .kde
> and .kde4 folders and started from scratch. Kmail synced with the imap
> server beautifully. All was Ok till today when it started crashing on email
> compose.

I've heard that. Right tool for the right job, I guess.

> the Autostart editor in System settings - has been broken since 4.0, adding
> a program (Kontact or Konquorer) crashes it, and yes there is a bug report
> which I have added to. How can a completly broken applet be left in and
> unrepaired from 4.0 to 4.1.2?

Because there is nobody to work on it?
If you're asking how it happens, that's how. If you're really asking how can
it be allowed? I have no idea. I guess they are doing the best they can, and
trying not to spread themselves too thin supporting two desktops, I guess? I
wasn't in the discussion they had.