8.10b - first impression and questions

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 8 13:57:27 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi at gmx.de> wrote:

>> I have yet to see perfect software. Even Linux does not offer it and
>> imho nobody will ever be able to write a perfect solution.
>
> Really there is a lot of perfect software, just not much for the home
> user because it costs to much to produce.

Really?  Anything more complex than "Hello World" is likely to have errors.
Even mission-critical, lives-at-risk, software was found to have errors
during the Y2K fiasco (not that it was likely that many of those errors
would have broken anything - but the software was not perfect).

> What is not perfect on the
> home systems is often the hardware and other peoples software that it
> must interface with anyway. When you release a piece of software it
> must not work with just one type of hardware but 1000s! It is really
> impossible to test 1000s of possible hardware types that you might
> have your software run on and it is not cost effective ether. Zero
> fault software is the sort of stuff that NASA uses.

Like the lander software for Mars missions :-)

You're essentially right, I just can't agree that there's much perfect
sotware out there.
--
derek