New GIMP?

Wed Oct 8 13:39:05 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 08 October 2008, you wrote:
> OK.  I'll bite.  How is this simple?

Simple, as it only has a few steps. Easy? Perhaps not.

> This gets the error that I need GLIB 2.14.0.  A check of the packages
> available through Adept Manager shows that this version is not yet
> available.
>
> So, at this point I am going to abandon this project until everything
> we need is available to the mortal man or casual user...... :-)

Hmmmmm, I did not know this one. I'm on Intrepid. Apologies.
Installing GLIB is a good learning experience, but it's a bit dodgy, honestly.
I used to do it in the Gimp 2.4 dev series to follow, and it ended up failing
most of the time. You have to download it, and prefix it out to /opt and then
set your PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable to point to the *.pc files in the new
/opt/glib dir. It can be done, and honestly, it taught me a lot.

Sadly, gimp 2.6 just rolled out to Ibex today...did it come out on 8.04?