firefox CPU usage

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Tue Oct 7 08:24:54 UTC 2008

Hi all,

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Steve Grace <sgrace at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 15:47 +0200, Gianluca Cerminara wrote:
>
>>       I'm running 8.04 with the latest greatest firefox and I notice that the
>> browser is always at the top of the list for CPU usage....any suggestion
>> about how to avoid it?
>> This is particularly annoying especially when running on battery.
>
> To find out if it's an add-on causing the problem, start Firefox in safe
> mode with add-ons disabled. From a terminal, enter "firefox
> --safe-mode".
>
> Also, could it be a problem with a particular site? I've seen
> poorly-written advertising banners use all available CPU.

Then use add-block.

Firefox also uses a lot of CPU here on my old laptop. I try not to use
too many extensions, they usually eat a lot of power too.
I minimised my extensions to add-block and no-scripts, which tunes
down the CPU usage. Especially no-scripts is great, my CPU load for
Firefox 3.0.3 is below that of the X server and stays at about an
average 10%, with about 10 open tabs.
Also avoid automatic tab reloads, this is very power consuming.

Greets

Myriam

--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org