Beta 8.10 released

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 6 13:13:32 UTC 2008

(Funny that kontact crashed while I was trying to respond to this...)

Jordi Ferrando Fabra wrote:

> Lindsay Mathieson escribió:
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not nearly so much upset with KDE4 as with the general progress of
>>> KDE-PIM in the last 3 years (that is, absolutely zero because everything
>>> has been marked for correction in KDE4).
>>
>> Agreed, I really like Kontact when its working - great UI but its
>> stability is atrocious particularly in cached IMAP mode. I go through
>> phases of trying it every new release for a few weeks bu invariably it
>> starts dying on me - the latest one (in KDE 4.1.1) ended up crashing
>> everytime I tried to create a new message.
>>
>> So back to thunderbird which never crashes and works really well with
>> IMAP. Which is a shame because Kontact integrates far better with KDE
>>
> Agreed. Thunderbird does not even allow me to print properly, but it
> works great.
> Agreed too about IAMP mode in kmail.

Actually Lindsay didn't say "IMAP" - it's "cached" [disconnected] IMAP.
IMAP works fine except for one small problem: after hibernate/resume, any
open folders are no longer accessible until kontact/kmail is restarted.
Unfortunately, that's one of those bugs I've been subscribed to for years,
and was always told "it's fixed for KDE4" - yet I've never actually got a
bug notification saying it's fixed in KDE4.
--
derek